Thursday, April 30, 2009

3M’s Voting Experience


We have recently shifted our residence to a “fully loaded residential complex” in the island city to beat the commuting from the suburbs. Coming from a family of ardent voters who never miss any election, my father had ensured that our names are transferred to the local list so that we “exercise our right”. But much to my chagrin, none of the political parties cared to give us the “voter’s slip” that tells us the location of our voting booth. Probably, they think that “Tower Dwellers” don’t vote…
.
Luckily, I came across the website of the Chief Electoral Officer (Maharashtra) which claimed that it could help me locate the booth. After an hour of weak connection, I was able to find out that this elusive booth is in “Mandap K Tata Blek Kr 1 V 2 chya Moklya Maidanat”… WTF… was this some coded message?… or was it some grand plan to deny us the coveted black dot????
.
Luckily, a local NGO had put up a poster on the society notice board that the booth was in a local municipal Urdu school… so out went the 3M family to locate that “temple of democracy”… The school was teeming with voters of all sorts… but not a single political worker of any party was present there to help you locate the booth (How I miss good old Vile Parle!). After 15 minutes of search, we realized that our “complex” is not in the list… omigosh… they deleted the whole complex from the list! Conspiracy… Conspiracy… After a few phone calls to our neighbours, we realized that the locality has another Urdu school… half a kilometer way… YES… we have found our Shangri-La!
.
No indication at the entrance of the school that a tiny part of the “world’s biggest elections” is taking place inside. EC was kind enough to dedicate an entire classroom for our complex… which was deserted except for the bored government staff. After the customary identification and signature, 3M got his chance to decide who will “take his voice to the corridors of power in Delhi”… As per tradition, I placed my index finger on the desk and that seemingly tipsy guy put a black stroke (not the dot) on it. Off I went with puffed chest to do my duty, by pressing that prized button… ‘peeeeeeeeeeeeeee’ screamed the Banshee inside the voting machine and locked my vote for ever!
.
Only in the evening (when I saw the celebrities brandishing their middle fingers) did I realize that all Mumbaikars (voting types) have the black stroke on the middle finger… Hope I am not on the wrong side of law!
.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin