The complete list of 25 most powerful politicians is as follows -
1. Sharad Pawar (68) NCP +1
2. Bal Thackeray (82) SS -1
3. Ashok Chavan (50) INC 0
4. Gopinath Munde (59) BJP 0
5. Chhagan Bhujbal (60) NCP 0
6. Uddhav Thackeray (48) SS +1
7. Raj Thackeray (39) MNS -1
8. Vilasrao Deshmukh (63) INC 0
9. Ajitdada Pawar (49) NCP 0
10. Nitin Gadkari (60) BJP +2
11. R R Patil (52) NCP 0
12. Narayan Rane (56) INC -2
13. Praful Patel (53) NCP 0
14. Ramdas Athavale (55) RPI 0
15. Prakash Ambedkar (51) RPI 0
16. Vinay Kore (37) JSP 0
17. Murli Deora (71) INC 0
18. Gurudas Kamat (51) INC 0
19. Sushilkumar Shinde (66) INC 0
20. Balasaheb Vikhe-Patil (76) INC +2
21. Manohar Joshi (71) SS -1
22. Vijaysingh Mohite Patil (64) NCP -1
23. Vinod Tawde (45) BJP 0
24. Jayant Patil (46) NCP 0
25. N D Patil (78) PWP 0
Movement on the MahaPol ladder –
0 : Zero indicates that there has been no change in the ranking over the previous month.
+X : Plus indicates improvement in ranking over last month and ‘x’ indicates how many ranks he/ she has moved upwards.
-X : Minus indicates degradation in ranking over last month and ‘x’ indicates how many ranks he/ she has moved downwards.
To understand the methodology used for the ranking click here.
- In the last Lok Sabha Elections (2004), the Samajwadi Party (SP) ranked fifth in terms of votes polled while the NCP was at the 12th rank. As SP has now declared its support to Sharad Pawar as a candidate for the Prime Minister’s post, he has regained his premier position on the MahaPol ladder. Obviously, Balasaheb Thackeray is back at Rank 2.
- Uddhav Thackeray is proving to be a good crowd puller while Raj Thackeray has still not been able to organise his parties machinery to a required minimum level. So you see the cousins exchanging their ranks!
- Congress High command has entrusted the responsibility of Lok Sabha Elections in the state in Vilasrao Deshmukh’s hands… but even after his best efforts, he has not been able to induct his brother in the Maharashtra cabinet on both occasions – first when the new cabinet was declared and second when it was expanded. These two events with opposite polarities have ensured that his rank has not changed over the previous month.
- After his suspension was revoked, Narayan Rane was inducted in the cabinet… so his ranking should improve? On the contrary, he has been pushed out of the MahaPol Top 10 Hall of Fame because in the last one month he has totally lost his image as a prospective Chief Minister.
- Nitin Gadkari has not only effectively asserted his position in BJP but has also given a taste of his tremendous nuisance value to the ruling party. This has propelled him by two ranks and given him entry in the MahaPol Top 10 Hall of Fame.
- Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil has been inducted in the cabinet by putting aside the claim of former MPCC President Govindrao Adhik. This has ensured that former’s father Balasaheb Vikhe-Patil’s rank has been pushed up by two steps while Manohar Joshi and Vijaysingh Mohite-Patil had to ‘accommodate’ him by climbing down one step each.