The complete list of 25 most powerful politicians is as follows -
1. Sharad Pawar (68) NCP +1
2. Raj Thackeray (39) MNS +1
3. Balasaheb Thackeray (82) SS -2
4. Ashok Chavan (50) INC +1
5. Ajitdada Pawar (49) NCP +6
6. Gopinath Munde (59) BJP -1
7. Nitin Gadkari (60) BJP +3
8. Vilasrao Deshmukh (63) INC 0
9. Chhagan Bhujbal (60) NCP -3
10. Uddhav Thackeray (48) SS -3
11. R R Patil (52) NCP +1
12. Narayan Rane (56) INC -3
13. Murli Deora (71) INC 0
14. Gurudas Kamat (51) INC 0
15. Prakash Ambedkar (51) RPI 0
16. Sushilkumar Shinde (66) INC +3
17. Praful Patel (53) NCP 0
18. Ramdas Athavale (55) RPI -2
19. Vinay Kore (37) JSP -1
20. Balasaheb Vikhe-Patil (76) INC 0
21. Vinod Tawde (45) BJP +1
22. Manohar Joshi (71) SS -1
23. Vijaysingh Mohite Patil (64) NCP -1
24. Supriya Sule (39) NCP 0
25. Devisinh Shekhawat (75) Cong New
IND – Independent
JSS – Jana Surajya Shakti
Movement on the MahaPol ladder –
0 : Zero indicates that there has been no change in the ranking over the previous month.
+X : Plus indicates improvement in ranking over last month and ‘x’ indicates how many ranks he/ she has moved upwards.
-X : Minus indicates degradation in ranking over last month and ‘x’ indicates how many ranks he/ she has moved downwards.
To understand the methodology used for the ranking click here.
- Since the inception of Mahapol Powerlist, the top 2 slots have been interchangeably occupied by only two people – Pawar and Thackeray. This continues to be the case… only this time it is a different Thackeray! Raj has now established his cognizable presence in the electoral battle and got the status of a recognized party for MNS.
- The slide of Balasaheb to #3 slot is due to 2 reasons – 1) Shiv Sena has got the least number of seats in the last 5 elections, 2) His party has lost the ‘Big Brother’ position in the alliance as BJP was able to garner more seats and has also lost the position of the major opposition party.
- Reasons for consolidation of Sharad Pawar’s power – 1) Though NCP has won lesser number of seats that the last assembly elections, its performance has improved since the Lok Sabha polls, 2) His authority to dictate terms to the Congress has not diminished.
- Announcement of Ashok Chavan as the CM designate has buoyed him to the #4 Slot.
- But the most spectacular rise in the Mahapol Powerlist is that of Ajitdada Pawar… He has climbed 6 steps in a swoop by garnering the support of 60% of the NCP MLAs. In addition, most of the successful NCP rebels are supporting him.
- Gopinath Munde’s power has eroded substantially as he was able to retain only 1 out of 6 assembly segments in his Lok Sabha Constituency. But his Bête Noire (Gadkari) has been able to consolidate his position by ensuring good performance in Nagpur area.
- Though Bhujbal will continue to be the Deputy CM, his power in his legislature party has been curtailed.
- Uddhav has been downgraded to the #10 slot as he seems to have lost the battle for the Thackeray legacy.
- Narayan Rane’s lackluster performance in the Konkan region will make sure that we won’t hear the ‘Rane for CM’ rhetoric for sometime now.
- Rashtrapati’s Pati (Devisinh Shekhawat) has proved his political mettle for the first time by ensuring victory for his son, a political novice. This victory was only possible as he was able to convert 2/3rd of the committed BJP votes in Amravati.
MahaPol can be directly contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org